Annual Ariel Avrech Memorial Lectures
6th Annual Ariel Avrech Memorial Lecture
Rabbi Steven Pruzansky:
“Conformity in Jewish Life: Vice, Virtue or Affectation?”
June 21, 2009
Rabbi Pruzansky is the spiritual leader of Congregation Bnai Yeshurun, a synagogue consisting of nearly 600 families located in Teaneck, New Jersey, and one of the most vibrant centers of Orthodox Jewish life today. He has served since August 1994.
Rabbi Pruzansky graduated from Columbia University in 1978 with a B.A. in history, and received a Juris Doctor degree from the Benjamin Cardozo School of Law in 1981. He practiced law for 13 years as a general practitioner and litigator in New York City until assuming his current pulpit. Rabbi Pruzansky studied in yeshivot in Israel and the United States, and was ordained at Yeshiva Bnei Torah of Far Rockaway, New York under the guidance of Rabbi Yisrael Chait, shlit”a.
He recently served as President of the Rabbinical Board of Bergen County, and currently serves as the Treasurer of the Rabbinical Council of America. He is a trustee of the RCA on the Board of the Beth Din of America, as well as a dayyan on the Beth Din itself. He also served as the American co-spokesman for the International Rabbinic Coalition for Israel. Rabbi Pruzansky served on the Board of Directors of the Jerusalem Reclamation Project, and received their Rabbinic Leadership Award at their 1995 Jerusalem Day banquet.
Rabbi Pruzansky is the author of A Prophet for Today: Contemporary Lessons of the Book of Yehoshua, and Judges for our Time: Contemporary Lessons of the Book of Shoftim.
Rabbi Pruzansky recently entered into the blogosphere with a fine blog appropriately titled: Rabbi Pruzansky’s Blog.
Recorded by Marc Franklin
- Daniel Greenfield: Fighting Anti-Semitism and Defending Israel in the Age of BDS June 11, 2017
- Ben Shapiro: “How You Can Save Israel”. May 22, 2016
- Larry Elder: “The New Black Antisemitism”. June 7, 2015
- Michael Medved: “Shifting Alliances: Why Liberals No Longer Reliably Support Israel — And Conservatives Do.” June 8, 2014
- David Horowitz: “The War Against Judaism on the University Campus” June 9, 2013
- Joel B. Pollak: “The Mainstream Media’s Betrayal of Israel” June 3, 2012
- Yossi Klein Halevi: “What is Expected of a Survivor People: Lessons My Father Taught Me” June 5, 2011
- Dennis Prager: “Happiness is a Mitzvah, Not an Emotion” June 13, 2010
- Rabbi Steven Pruzansky: “Conformity in Jewish Life: Vice, Virtue or Affectation?” June 21, 2009
- Rabbi Dr. Gil S. Perl: “What Was the Rosh Yeshiva Reading: Intellectual Openness in 19th Century Lithuania” June 15, 2008