Annual Ariel Avrech Memorial Lectures
8th Annual Ariel Avrech Memorial Lecture
Yossi Klein Halevi:
“What is Expected of a Survivor People: Lessons My Father Taught Me”
5 June 2011
World-renowned journalist and author Yossi Klein Halevi will address the following questions: What would today’s Jewish world look like from the perspective of a Holocaust survivor? Where have we as a people succeeded and where have we failed? For the first time in his life, Yossi Klein Halevi will confront this challenge from a very personal viewpoint — the worldview of his father, a Holocaust survivor.
Yossi Klein Halevi is an author and journalist based in Jerusalem and a fellow at the Shalom Hartman Institute. He is a contributing editor to The New Republic and a frequent commentator on Middle East affairs, contributing to the opinion pages of the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Wall Street Journal and other publications.
Our speaker has personal connections to the Avrech family that enhance the meaning of this event. Two years ago, Avrech offspring #3 married Yossi’s maternal nephew.
In addition, Yossi and Robert attended the same high school, Brooklyn Talmudic Academy.
Recorded by Marc Franklin
- Ben Shapiro: “How You Can Save Israel”. May 22, 2016
- Larry Elder: “The New Black Antisemitism”. June 7, 2015
- Michael Medved: “Shifting Alliances: Why Liberals No Longer Reliably Support Israel — And Conservatives Do.” June 8, 2014
- David Horowitz: “The War Against Judaism on the University Campus” June 9, 2013
- Joel B. Pollak: “The Mainstream Media’s Betrayal of Israel” June 3, 2012
- Yossi Klein Halevi: “What is Expected of a Survivor People: Lessons My Father Taught Me” June 5, 2011
- Dennis Prager: “Happiness is a Mitzvah, Not an Emotion” June 13, 2010
- Rabbi Steven Pruzansky: “Conformity in Jewish Life: Vice, Virtue or Affectation?” June 21, 2009
- Rabbi Dr. Gil S. Perl: “What Was the Rosh Yeshiva Reading: Intellectual Openness in 19th Century Lithuania” June 15, 2008